17/11/2010

New teacher at CCC on ILP day 3


As a new teacher, I really enjoy the ILP days. It’s always nice to see the students out of Maths class but also see them engaged in something that appears to be more interesting to them. The projects are especially nice as the students see the progress they make in one day and are always quite proud of their creations (rightfully so too). As for me I like to learn about the programs being used too. I find that in the setting we currently have, you get out what you put in. So today with Peter I learned loads. I had a basic idea of Photoshop already and was able to help the students too. But with Peter there I was able to ask him questions when needed and learn from what he showed the students. It was great! I will note though that when I worked on the video making ILP last time I did feel a little useless. Having no prior knowledge of the programs, it was often me waiting for Gordon to come and explain everything. That’s not to say I didn’t learn anything (I did!) but I think for staff to learn as much as possible, and still be useful during the day, it would help if they had a basic understanding (possibly a half hour introduction) to the programs that are being used. As I mentioned, I really enjoy ILP days and found that I have learned a lot!